Friday, March 27, 2020

Notes on a Small Planet

Lichens or lichen? Where does one lichen stop and another begin? Well, I'll leave it "lichens" in this haiga.

*

The pileated woodpeckers seem unusually active this spring, or perhaps that's just because I've been taking more and longer walks. Have you seen one, a woodpecker larger than a crow with a flame-red crest of feathers and white stripes on the wings? Go out and watch. It's okay, even, if you live in town, because once in my backyard I looked toward the busy street and there, on a telephone pole, was a pileated woodpecker. One may see anything anywhere.

*

More closely than ever, marking the cycles of rain sun, rain.

*

One may see anything anywhere. But there are ways to increase the odds.

*

Recent trees: beech, black cherry, white pine, chestnut oak, hemlock. Maples, but I need to see leaves before I say species. Same with the hickories (mockernut? pignut?), though I should be able to tell from the shells halved and piled up by squirrels.

*

Pay attention to the trees.

*

A fine country, if one looks to the lichens, mosses, ferns for guidance.



1 comment:

  1. "A fine country, if one looks to the lichens, mosses, ferns for guidance" has touched me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete