Monday, December 2, 2019

December Thoughts...

Does poetry and art matter? I keep writing poetry and making art. That's not exactly an answer to the direct question of whether or not such things matter in this downward-spiraling world, but the very act of creating something is a response. I have spoken before about poetry and art (and music, dance, photography, sculpture, etc.) being the creation of order amidst the chaos. What little I can do (along with teaching), I do—mostly for my own sanity, but that's no small thing, either.

A new poetry collection is due out in 2020. I am the featured artist in the current edition of The Cascadia Subduction Zone, something I found out was going to happen back in June, and now has become a reality. Small things such as this (well, actually it's a huge thing for me) keep me going. I hope such things keep you going, as well. May our creative spirits see us through.

1 comment:

  1. My best seasonal wishes of happiness and contentment... to you Jean.
    __ Poetry is an art, that brushes imagined visions to a reader's canvas.

    __ I've not submitted to any commercial publications, and a very few 'submits' to other sources; some of those had been 'pubbed'. The visitors to my blog, comments or not, are my contentment.
    __ I've written, since I first began to see my thoughts on the tip of a pencil. This... I had just gained 15 years and I was scanning the World histories, including WW2. My balance of realism, as I supposed.

    The world is in my hands.
    Mine are scared and stained
    by the gashes and blood
    of past evil.
    But,
    the future will cleanse and cure them
    to preserve the evil,
    without evil there is no good;
    and good is this breath
    of humanity.
    _m


    ReplyDelete